Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Zachary is doing good right now. We are have fought the Regional Center to keep Zachary there so I can continue to work. Their Psychiatrist has found Zachary Provisional Mental Retardation which means Zachary qualifies to stay there under the Lanterman Act. With him staying here at the Regional Center they will provide me with someone to come to my home and take care of Zachary. If Zachary wouldn't have qualified to stay there then I would have had to quit my job. I had spoken to Regional Centers advocates which weren't able to help me. They had never seen this situation where a child had an immune deficiency and couldn't be around other children. Since I don't have a grandparent or family member who can watch him then I would be forced to quit my job of 7 years and go on welfare. I'm not a welfare mom. Sorry I can support myself just would need a little help since he can't go to daycare. They stated sorry we can't help you. Advocates are there to help you... Not in LA County..... They state I've never seen this situation before sorry I can't help you. You would think the correct response would have been, I have never seen this situation before let me see what I can do for you and I will get back to. Nope they just stated they couldn't help me. The only reason now I will get help is because the Psychiatrist put him as provisional mental retardation. If Zachary was not labeled that I would have had to quit my job. It is very sad that since you have a disabled child and if he isn't labeled what they (the state) think isn't disabled enough you will be punished and not get the help you need. The state is not informed about my son's syndrome Digeorge Syndrome /Velocardiofacial Syndrom /Chromosone 22 Deletion Syndrome, so they don't look at this syndrome like they look at Trisomy 22 or 13, Cerebral Palsy, Autistic, Mental Retardation etc... If your child can't go to head start or be around other kids what does someone do.. How sad it is you hope the Psychiatrist comes back with one of those labels so you can continue to provide for your child.

It isn't like I went out and got pregnant and am a young kid. I got married and planned a pregnancy and had 2 incomes. Our child was born and we didn't know that he would have anything wrong. We were expecting a healthy baby. Then my husband thought it would be a great idea to go get a girl friend with no consideration for his daughter that lived with us or his disabled son. So now there is me and Zach. One income only part time due to I only get so many hours for the respite care worker to come. We have managed and we are both happy. Zachary is a dancing machine.

We have appointment in June for the Pomona School District, ENT and Nutritionist.

Zachary is doing good and has just got over a cold a week or so ago. Will update with more info later.

No comments:

Post a Comment